Question: How does the pelamis wave power work?
Answer: Technically it’s called the Pelamis Wave Energy Converter and it’s a long snake like device which is made up of several joints that flex with the motion of waves. As waves flex the joints the motion is resisted by hydraulics that are used to pump oil through the system driving hydraulic motors. These motors drive electrical generators which are connected together and exit the machine via a single cable that runs along the seabed back to shore.
Other questions related to wave energy:
- How does wave power generate electricity from a floating object?
- How does water work as a renewable energy resource?
- How does hydrodynamic power work?
- Where does wave power work well?
- What is the difference between wave power sources?
- How does the pelamis wave power work?