Question: How efficient are hydroelectric dams?
Answer: The United States Bureau of Reclamation says that hydroelectric dams are the most efficient method for producing electricity. Modern hydroelectric dams operate at 90% efficiency. This is in comparison to various other energy sources like wave power which operates at around 70% efficiency in optimal conditions (which is rare), wind power where 50% efficiency is rarely obtained, or photovoltaics where the current record is around 43% efficiency.
Other questions related to hydroelectric energy:
- How does gravity hydropower work?
- How does a dam work?
- Will hydroelectric power save money?
- What kind of power output does hydroelectric power produce?
- What is the wasted energy for hydroelectric energy?
- What is an example of hydroelectric energy?
- What does a wicket gate do in a hydro dam?
- How does a dam hold water?
- What do wicket gates do in hydroelectric dams?
- How can water be a renewable resource used for energy and by what means?
- How efficient are hydroelectric dams?