Question: How efficient is tidal power?
Answer: Tidal power is actually incredibly efficient (85% efficiency) when compared to things like coal power plants (30% efficiency) which is where the majority of electricity currently comes from. However, in order to obtain this efficiency level certain conditions need to be met. For example the difference between high and low tides needs to be 7 meters or more and efficiency is greatest in areas with semidiurnal tides (two high and low tides in a single day). However, even when these optimal conditions aren’t present efficiency is still much higher than traditional energy sources. The problem is the expense associated with building tidal power stations which means return on investment often takes much longer.
Other questions related to tidal energy:
- How much electricity does tidal power generate?
- How efficient is tidal power?
- Does tidal power slow earth rotations?
- How does a tidal energy generator produce electricity?
- How does a tidal power station generate electricity?
- Is tidal power energy widely accepted in today’s society?
- What is the tidal power resource?
- What are the disadvantages of tidal energy?