Question: What are the 5th generation biofuels?
Answer: As far as I’m aware there is currently no fifth generation biofuels. The highest is fourth generation biofuels. Here is a simple break down of the various biofuel generations as it currently stands:
- First generation biofuels are fuels produced from biological sources.
- Second generation biofuels are fuels produced from non-food biological sources (To eliminate competition between fuel or food for crops).
- Third generation biofuels are algae based fuel sources.
- Fourth generation biofuels are essentially the remaining methods of producing biofuels not convered in the previous generations. This includes genetically modified crops, pyrolysis, and so on.
Other questions related to biological energy:
- How does biomass ethanol work?
- How is biodiesel converted to energy?
- How does a biofuel turbine work?
- What is biofuel and how does it work?
- What are the 5th generation biofuels?
- What are some disadvantages to third generation biofuels?